Sunday, December 27, 2009

Drop It Like It's Hot......Sober??

This weekend I was in San Antonio to visit my dad and his wife. One perk about suburbia is that they are members to one of my most favorite places created by America's insatiable appetite for consumerism- Lifetime Fitness. It's not quite as wonderful as walking into Saks off the real Fifth Avenue during Christmas time, but it is still a place that is kind of like a playground to me. The concept of nice locker rooms with showers that are actually nicer than my own in is still foreign to me. My stepmom took me to a dance class that she loves. It was really awesome and I wish they had a class like that here. It's basically a fitness class where you dance hip hop style (with a little salsa mix) to some of the latest hit songs. For example we danced to Knock You Down by Keri Hilson, Umbrella by Rihanna, and the list goes on. The style of dancing makes you feel like you are Britney Spears's backup dancers.

It's such a great concept. The only bad part about the execution of this idea is me in the class. I'm an accountant for god sake. I have no moves. I have no groove. This is why I have to drink to be Fun Bobby! I was immediately aware of all this as I tried to follow the dance moves completely sober at 11am. It was painstakingly obvious that the concept of moving arms, legs, and hips was foreign and uncomfortable to me. You might as well have slapped on some bottle cap glasses, suspenders, and a pocket protector on me. Nonetheless, I eventually learned to loosen up a bit and try to look somewhat respectable....while having some fun with it!

It was definitely the kind of dance class I've dreamed of, and I wish that I could have the resources to perfect my moves. For now I'll have to make do with dancing by myself with a glass of wine or those 1:30am ideas to hit the dance floor on a night out....or just make my own dance floor wherever I am on a drunken night.

No comments:

Post a Comment