Monday, December 14, 2009

A Christmas Story: The Tale of Two Carolers

I love my friends. I would really do anything for them.
Here is the greatest proof I could ever provide:



Last year my dear friend Matt asked me if I would go to his company party. I immediately responded with a YES because it sounded much better than my own company party (Abacus was catering his event). A couple of days before the event I get a strange call from Matt. He felt compelled to live up to his boss's challenge that people should show up in true Christmas spirit. Matt, the most creative person I know, decided we would show up to the Christmas party in year 2008, dressed as Victorian Christmas carolers. "Charles Dickens" style, he said. I went along with it, ignorantly trusting and thinking that others would be dressed the same.

In order to really portray our parts, we went to the Dallas Costume Shoppe (yes, spelled that way). I was outfitted with this gorgeous crimson outfit, petticoats and all. The lady was really into it.....telling me how beautiful the outfit was going to look with my coloring...if I had closed my eyes I swear I could have been getting fit for a Versace dress or something.

My date picks me up, outfitted in his traditional Victorian attire and we go off in our "carriage." We arrive at the party and guess what- we are the only ones remotely dressed in Christmas cheer! It was definitely an interesting experience arriving to a party where I knew no one and having everyone stare at me. Eventually I got used to being an exhibit and had a very memorable Christmas party experience. The funny thing was the Monday after the party I ran into one of his coworkers I had met that night, and he did not recognize me at all without my caroling outfit!


we clean up nice for year 1880

the whole gang having fun with our outfits


dancing the night away (notice the normally dressed people in the background)

I will say I do not regret the experience. I'm glad I went along with the gimmick. It makes for a great story, and I do get to use this against Matt for the rest of my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment