Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Evolution of a Single Girl at Work

This morning on my 1.7 mile drive to work I thought about how my work life has changed over the past three years of working.....and how it has gone from playground to lame! When I first started working, it was a new and exciting world. I was in a new city, I was a "professional," I had just bought a new car, a new apartment, and it was new and different to dress up like a grown up. My first year out of college most of the time felt like pretend. I was just getting used to the routine with no realization of long term goals or what the next 40 years of my life would be like. And there were men, lots of young single men! At times it definitely felt like a playground. I was meeting a bunch of new people, and there was always a distraction. I have a very thirsty mind and it naturally gravitates towards the immediate things that interest me. There were "work crushes" and "work boyfriends" which made work distracting and fun! However, in the past few years either due to attrition, age, or wisdom, there are literally zero males to distract me at work. My mind was forced to channel all of its excess energy on my job. Remarkably, my work performance has dramatically improved during this time. Now I actually have focus and a stable future ahead of me. Go figure. I'm not sure if this is a better thing in terms of the fun department but I do suppose I am heading in the right direction. Besides, I am glad my social circle rarely crosses paths with work now. C'est la vie.

1 comment: