Tuesday, October 6, 2009

You Are the Music In Me

Sorry I've been on hiatus, life has been pretty crazy, but that is no excuse. Life is always crazy, and only with life can I write this blog.

As I sit in my lonely cube at 9pm, dreaming of the days of Fun Bobby debauchery... I find myself doing very mundane work. Naturally, this is the perfect opportunity to listen to my entire collection of music (on shuffle, of course) and reminisce. Why is my brain wired to reminisce when it hears music? I think it's remarkable that I do this unconsciously every time. As the songs shuffle through, I realize I have a specific memory attached to every single song. Not only that, but each song will evoke the exact same personalized memory every time I hear it. If I want to think about that specific memory, I only need play the song. This comes as both a blessing and a curse depending on the memory and emotion attached with it.

Every boy that has meant anything to me has a set of songs attached to my memory of him. The playlists cycle through every stage of the relationship: crush, new beginnings, love, trouble, and heartbreak. How can music be so intertwined with our emotions? It has so much more power over us than we think.

I could tell my life story from my collection of songs on my ipod. There is a song for everything from the important events like graduations and traveling experiences to unimportant events like late nights studying and dances at the bars to dreams like long term ambitions and fond memories of favorite places. Who tells your story? Colbie Caillat? John Mayer? Taylor Swift?

1 comment:

  1. You are so right Niffer. To this day, every time I hear the "life......road" song (It's actually called "At the Beginning") I still totally think of driving around with you arguing about the lyrics!!! I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete