Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ballgowns, Galas, and Cowboy Boots?

I recently was invited by my boss to attend a Gala. You have no idea how excited I was. I have a random list of "life experiences" that I find important. It's very random, but going to my first gala was one of them. Despite having a name like Fun Bobby, I'm very girly. I love dressing up. Elegance, regal, classy, I love it all! Immediately after finding out that I was going to the gala, I started thinking about dresses. Within a few days, I had a beautiful long black BCBG dress hanging in my closet waiting for the occasion. I LOVED the dress!


Well, only in Texas would this happen. After buying the dress, I find out that the attire for the gala is "western chic." I don't even know what western chic is. I spent weeks fretting over what my date and I would wear. How could they do this? I love tradition, and it's traditional to wear formal attire to galas. Why were they making this edgy and "fun" with the cowboy theme?!

I felt as if the whole world understood what western chic meant except for myself. I'm Texan by birth, but I don't think the whole country thing ever really sunk in. I have some Asian in me so I blame it on that.

Upon finding out this wardrobe catastrophe, I knew I had to alter my outfit. I don't own anything remotely country. I mean I live in Uptown in Dallas, why would I? I wasn't willing to give up the dress, if anything purely on principle. My friend Kristin came up with the genius idea to get a turquoise necklace to wear with the dress. I have to thank her for that because it was the one thing that saved me that night. 90% of the women at the gala were wearing turquoise jewelry. Who knew? The majority of the women were also wearing boots and jeans though, so I was slightly overdressed. Such is life, especially for a girl like me who worships the little black dress.

After a few glasses of wine, I stopped caring about the attire. The alcohol was flowing everywhere. Who cares if we had work the next morning, we were going to enjoy the night! The entertainment was phenomenal at the event. I believe the country theme was all centered around the fact that Jack Ingram was performing at the gala. Being a more private event than a concert, we were able to stand right in front of the stage. My date Taylor took some fabulous pictures, just to show you how creepily close we were. At the end of the night, Jack Ingram even touched my forehead (I'm still not sure why). I didn't wash my face for days! (Just kidding....)




These are real photos Taylor took from where we were standing, aren't they amazing?!

It looks like he is playing just for us!


Um yeah, extremely close.....his sweat could have dripped on us!

2 comments:

  1. how about a pic of the outfit???? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of myself. I know, I know. I was having an off day where I didn't like my makeup or hair!

    ReplyDelete