Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sometimes Dating Feels Like American Idol Auditions

Aaaah the apathies of dating. That's been the story of my life for 2009. I've been single for about exactly 3 years. Scary. I really didn't think I would be single this long, but it has definitely been a learning experience! Here is how I would sum up my dating experience in the past three years:

Year 1- crazy binge of going out many nights and trying to pick up as many guys as I can to distract myself from recent breakup

Year 2- go on continuous dates because of the combination of new perspective of moving to a new city and starting a full time job as well as the novice of meeting guys at bars has not worn off

Year 3- burned out from giving too many guys my phone numbers, same first dates that go no where, and realizing that my time to myself is most often much more fun than with a stranger I'm trying to picture myself with

Now, I'm not saying that I'm an expert on dating or that I have anything figured out because clearly you can see from this summarized history that a lot of mistakes have been made. My point today is that there comes a point where the whole dating game just gets a little boring. It's always the same routine. A guy asks for my number and he either calls or we go through the painstaking process of about 20 text messages to set up the first date. Then you have the same conversations where you tell the same stories and explain the same facts of your life. I obviously have not met "The One" (aka Mr. Fun Bobby) because I have yet to be captivated by this ritual.

So, I propose this (no pun intended...). America, let's get creative with our dating. I'm so bored lately, I'm really going to need someone to do something really interesting to catch my attention. I feel like the city of Dallas is providing me with the same cookie cutter date every time. Let's make this more like a competition! In fact, you can even SING to me like they do in American Idol- that would get my attention. If any of you readers are young, single men out there and interested in this competition, my phone number is 214-6...... nah, just kidding haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment