Thursday, October 29, 2009

Why do I bike? Because it's the only sport that serves beer

That's not my main motive, but it probably caught your attention. I also can't deny the fact that a cold pint can help ease the memory of the hours of blood, sweat, and tears that come with one of my typical bike races. One time I even biked 100 miles (Shiner Century Ride) just so that I could get my "free" beers at the race finish. I know, it's crazy. I wish I could explain more why I do this to myself. But yes, I bike just like the likes of Lance Armstrong, but much slower and much less gracefully. This past weekend I completed my second Livestrong Challenge- the 45 mile bike ride in the giant hill country of Dripping Springs. And yes, they served beers and bloody marys at the rest stops! I did not partake in the festivities, but it was comforting to know that there were reasonable people participating in this not so reasonable sport- Glad to know these other insane people also like to have fun!


It is very strange to even myself that I bike. Most people know me as a girly "city" chick. If you saw me on the street or out at the bars you would probably think I wasn't tough enough for the sport of cycling. Well guess what, I have the battle wounds to prove that I get as raw as the rest of them on the road! One disclaimer: I really hate biking clothes, and I realize how extremely unflattering they are.


I do really like the races. My favorite part is the very beginning. It's interesting to see how many people from so many different walks of life are dedicated to the same practices that I am. Sometimes I feel like only me and my teammates are training for events, and then it is fun to see the thousands of people from across Texas who have made this a big part of their lives as well.


Before biking, I had all of my heart in running. I loved it and really believed in it. (I still do.) I even loathed all of the bikers who would pass me as I ran or slow traffic on the roads. Now I have a newfound respect and perspective any time I see a biker on the street. It is by far the most challenging thing I have ever done, I have cried during every race because of the difficulty of the roads, and there is so much room to grow in this sport. I am amazed by the many people who are incredibly fast and strong at this. I am doubtful that I will ever be as skilled as these people, but every race for me at this point is about crossing the finish line. For now that is enough for me, and I am glad that I have this experience in my life.


Me crossing the Livestrong finish line after 45 miles, Oct 25, 2009.


My awesome teammates on Team Casas!






1 comment: