Sunday, March 21, 2010

Fun Bobby Becomes Domesticated (hahaha jk)

I think everyone would agree that I am the least domesticated out of the group. Not in an "unfeminine/bad taste/was not raised right" kind of way......but only because all of my friends are way over acheivers and I don't have the patience that they do to achieve at cooking, baking, decorating, sewing. I'm serious.....I am not even motivated half of the time to even try to accomplish what they can because I have never met a group of this many people who are extremely good at everything they take on!

And frankly also, achieving in those things is not a motivator for me since I don't have anyone in my life to share the fruits of my labor with. I like to live my life in stages and right now my stage of life is "spend as much money as I can to collect clothes and that I 'need' to be attractively single and go out as much as possible to meet nice boys".....or somewhere along that line. As my married friend Libby has put it once "you should collect as many clothes as you can before you get married because once you get married you won't be able to buy as many." I love this quote, and I use it to justify most purchases I should not be making. Nonetheless, that huge digression was merely meant to explain that I'm not domesticated not because I am not capable, but because I've always been a crammer in school and in life, and it is very differently than how my more organized friends approach their lives. Thus, right now I am cramming all of my singleness and in a few years I will probably have to start a new blog describing my disastrous efforts to "cram" learning how to cook/bake/clean/decorate/sew at the mercy of the poor souls who will be my future husband and children...aka my guiney pigs for life.


I truly admire all of my friends' amazing abilities. I am daily floored by how beautiful every one of Kiki's apartments are.....and I also brag to my friends at work that she was the one who baked the amazing cupcake they are eating. I am beyond impressed with Ann's headband creations and booming Etsy shoppe (I just really wanted to spell it that way). Mitzi's (and also Kiki's) sewing endeavers from her curtains to Katie's present are seriously in my mind creations of God because there is no way I will ever be able to do that. Katie's cooking and baking- well, let's just say that every time I read her blog I seriously wish she would adopt me and I am really jealous Mike gets to go along for her cooking adventures. Both my friends Shellie and Libby seem to be able to pretty much do anything with ease, which amazes me all the time....and is also why I am always asking for advice!


Anyway, this weekend I got a little domesticated myself. And here are some of the results that ensued .....all Fun Bobby style :)


Decorating:
I found an AMAZING painting at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I only paid $80 and it is something I know I will keep for life. If anyone knows me I think they will agree it is totally me and meant for me!!


VOILA!!!


wait, wait- here's it close up

and even closer!!!
I LOVE it- it's elegant, regal, asian meets tiffanys meets modern
You see this painting was perfect for me because I have been known to be obsessed with cherry blossoms. Before I had this painting, I had a picture of cherry blossoms that I had taken in April 2008 in DC up on the mantel that I had printed on to a canvas. Now this picture is sitting on top of some of my books in my room until it finds a more permanent home.


Groceries:
I also did some grocery shopping- here is what I saved tons of money on!!


All of my favorite wine was on a major sale! Iknow that these prices will never be any lower, so I had to stock up. ($6.99 for the Chauteau St. Michelle Riesling normally $8.99 and $9.99 for the Kate & Cassie Sauvignon/Cab blend normally $10.99 at Target) It was embarassing because I orginally attempted to buy these at 11:56am on Sunday. Yep, had to get rejected since you aren't allowed to buy alcohol before noon on Sunday in the Bible Belt. Believe it or not, I have never bought this much wine at one time just for myself.


Cooking:
I also did some minor cooking this weekend. Here was my Sunday lunch: butternut squash soup with lite whole wheat toast (tea sandwich size) with part skim ricotta cheese and black raspberry jam. Of course I did not make any of it from scratch- the Fun Bobby household is purely an assembly unit. The soup was from Campbell's V8 boxed soups (the butternut squash one is amazing, and I am thorougly obsessed with it). The lunch was just so colorful I had to take a picture of it! Estimated calories: 250. Estimated cost $2.70.


So there you have it. My guide to being domestic while still getting those nights out and ever important shopping excursions in.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, you are crazy. I love the fridge full of wine. That is classic Fun Bobby. I love "aka, my guinea pigs for life". So great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woo hoo! you crack me up. and you are right, that soup looks good!

    ReplyDelete