Monday, January 11, 2010

Fun Bobby Addictions

I have an addictive personality, if you haven't noticed. I like to think of it as a strength most of the time though. See, I don't just halfway do things. Once I'm in, I'm all in. I'm fully committed and devoted to the things in my life that I chose to love. During the week since I'm a responsible job holding citizen, I can't be addicted to the bar scene. So, instead I have chosen coffee to be addicted to M-F.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee. I love it! I think about it all day long. I only limit myself to not having more than one cup a day, and actually some days I don't even have a single cup. But, you can be sure that I'm thinking about it all day long. Mmmmm.

Here is a little background on my coffee history. I never touched a single cup of coffee until I was 20 years old. I remember the moment vividly. Until then, I had been saving myself for a moment of desperation. You see, I like to think that I have a lot of natural energy and stamina for making it through the day and night without the help of external stimulants. I never grew up drinking sodas or coffee and had pulled many all nighters in my student career without it. I knew that once that sweet dark brew would touch my lips, my natural stamina would slowly decline due to the dependency on the bean. So, I had to play it cautiously because like I said, I go hard or I go home. Once I was dedicated to coffee, there would be no turning back....and who knows how dark that path could get.

So what was the moment that made me give in 20 years of self control and will power? What was this pivotal event? Well, in college I was the treasurer of my sorority, and ladies and gentlemen this was no joke of a job. They sent me to Columbus Ohio for a three day convention, including 2 full days devoted JUST to the accounting software they use. Accounting + Software for 16 hours!!!! Yeah, I was desperate. It was terrible, I had to get some help from a higher power.

So there it began. To tell you the truth I didn't become all out addicted until I started my second full year in the accounting business and had to go through another mind numbing busy season. I also had been tragically afraid of how to make coffee and use coffee machines. I used to say I would really suck as an intern because I can't even make coffee for my bosses. Once I learned the ropes, I became a full out addict.

Have any of you ever seen the movie Kicking and Screaming with Will Ferrell? In the movie he tastes his first cup of coffee and becomes maddeningly obsessed with it....to the point of drinking so much his personality completely changes and he's extremely high strung. He just couldn't hold his java. I sometimes chuckle that I could potentially end up on the deep end like that too.

While we are on the subject, this also reminds me of a hilarious story that one of my favorite professors in college, Dr. Brederson, told me one time. Dr. Brederson was my business law professor, and having gone to law school, was sharing one of his experiences with our class. Apparently during one of his legal classes a guest speaker was going to come who specialized in lie detector machines. The guest speaker challenged the class that if anyone can beat the machine, they will win something (I forget what). My professor was determined to win this challenge and so he researched how to beat lie detector machines and found out that the machines mainly work by finding a spike in your nervous system. His plan was for him to start out the test already in a state of being extremely high strung so that if he lied, the machine wouldn't be able to detect a difference in his lying. The morning of the test, he drank as many cups of coffee as he could to be sure he was extremely wired. On top of that, 5 minutes before the class he called a girl he had been wanting to ask out and asked her out. Hahaha. Once he got to class extremely hyped up, he was disappointed to find that the guest speaker wasn't able to make it that day due to something else that had come up.

Coffee coffee coffee coffee!! Coffee is on my brain, I have a dirty mind - there are no coffee filters on this mocha flavored mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment