Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Hawaii Moments: Making the Blog

I am a terrible blogger- but I am attempting to finish the rest of my Hawaii series. So, during the trip we decided to kayak from Kailua beach to the Mokulua islands. It takes about an hour to kayak out there and once you get there you can park your kayak on the beach and partayyyy as long as you like. It’s basically like an exclusive party island (exclusive in the fact that only those willing to trek on the kayak ride can enjoy the benefits of the island). So with high hopes we packed our bag full of beer and set off for the high seas. The kayak ride was very fun, although I am not sure how much I really contributed to our journey. When we got to the island, there was a gorgeous view of the coast of Oahu (see below).

















The party scene wasn’t quite what I was picturing. I’m not sure why I kept envisioning MTV Spring Break style partying considering it was 11 am….and we were on a semi-remote island. Anyway, we definitely brought the party with us. Cold beers on the beach…this was turning out to be the quintessential vacation!




















Two or three beers later….we pack up to head back to Oahu. This part of the trip was going to be easy. The current would just carry us towards the island, and it really was helping us cover the distance quickly. We weren’t very far from the island when we hit a really big wave, which we attempted to “surf” on with the kayak. It didn’t really help that we were in a pretty shallow area where the reef was pretty close to the surface of the water. It probably also didn’t help that we were a little buzzed from our indulgences in island drinking. In what seemed like two seconds the front of the kayak hit the reef and our whole kayak toppled over in the waves!! Our reactions to this “emergency” situation were pretty interesting. Ryan asked if I was okay, and once that was confirmed, also asked, “IS THIS BLOGWORTHY??” Hahaha! He was determined to get into this blog with some kind of crazy story. Well, you definitely made the blog! My first reaction was to grab his $4 mat that he had brought with him- probably the cheapest thing on the boat. Meanwhile my sunglasses were sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Ryan offered to dive down to get them, but I’m glad we both decided that would be a bad idea! He also very kindly bought me a new pair (which you really didn’t have to!!) Missing sunglasses, minor scrapes, and a hilarious story- all in all, I would say we survived the kayak crash pretty well!

No comments:

Post a Comment